Saturday, September 23, 2006

Sometimes You Need to Move Slow To Move Fast....

There are times in the day I wish I could just stop the clock from running as if a few more minutes or hours would help me finish the day off to "my satisfaction." So Monday and Tuesday, I was in a work seminar called Conflict Jujitzu. I wasn't happy because I had tons of work to do and the darn thing wouldn't end until 5:00 pm meaning I wouldn't get home until 7:00 p.m. My boss and fellow co-workers were also attending the session which also meant you really couldn't discuss work situations freely and expect no one would know you are talking about them so I just had to listen. And I did.....the seminar was supposed to help us or give us the tools to deal with conflicts in our lives but it is so funny how I took it more for tools to help me to deal with conflicts in my real life. I got a chance to reflect on me, my marriage, my family and the things I do in the digi-world. I thought a little about work but have come to realize that there are no tools I could learn to ever change some of the people who work here! :)

As I was taking the class, I really wanted to blog because my mind was swirling with all kinds of revelations but when I got home - the "mom" took over and there was homework to do, baths to give and dinners to cook and of course, always laundry - so I didn't. Then yesterday we had to do a major cleaning in our house because our landlord was coming to visit us after 7 years - and well, our house soooo doesn't look like the one he gave us with two growing girls who have the tendancy to spill and a cat who insists on looking outside the blinds - the pet we aren't supposed to have. So we all spent time and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. When I started I was frustrated because I knew I needed to do an ad for TDC and send a bio to Robin Carlton but we all cleaned! And suprisingly, we were done in a short time and I was able to get online and do what I wanted to do while sitting in a very clean home. So one of the concepts I learned in class came to play in my life yesterday - Sometimes you have to move slow (taking the time to clean the house the way I wanted) to move fast (I ended up getting my stuff done because I wasn't stressed that I had other things to do too!) I'll need to thank my boss on Monday....great class!!!

So scrapping news.......when I first started digi scrapbooking I had a few goals that I wanted to obtain - I wanted to be on the creative teams at The Digichick and The Sweet Shoppe and I wanted to be published in the digital magazine that Simple Scrapbooks puts out each quarter. When I made them they seemed so unobtainable like wishing you won the lottery but guess what??? I did it!!!! I have already been calling TDC my home for almost a year now and fell over when I saw the call for the Sweet Shoppe. On a lark I applied never really thinking I would get it - Robin said there was a 120 apps and well - I know there are a gizillion more talented girls then me who would surely apply. So when I got the email from Robin I really thought it was a "thanks but no thanks" one and was just soooo shocked when it was an offer! I remember actually calling my husband at work to tell him and he was actually very proud and happy for me! I was a tiny bit worried how it would be received over at TDC hoping they understood that I would still be "Super Darla" and nothing would change there. Still not entirely sure but then things have been kind of slow at TDC since Laura and Jan have been really busy outside of the site. But I am having fun......and feeling very honored to be working with some more great designers!

Then this week after giving up hope that I would make it in the SS digital magazine, I got an email from them asking for one of my layouts I did for Lynn Grieveson for the "Reader Top 20 Stories" section.......and I was just shocked!!! This would be my first publication that I was actually going to be paid for and well it was one of my last "dream" goals I had.....go figure huh? Now I guess I need to think of more just to have......but for now I am just going to be happy about the successes I have achieved and also thank my family for being so supportive so that I could do something for me! :)

Ok I have been double tagged by my dear friends, Sinead (aka maggieandmommy) and Karon (aka DragonFly) - List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre, whether or not they have words, or even if they’re not any good, but they must be songs you’re really enjoying now. Post these instructions in your LiveJournal/blog along with your seven songs. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.

I am stumped since I chat on my cell phone in my car (where listening to music would be for me) - I really don't catch who sings what. So I will try to do this:

1. "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt - soooo love his voice and love the live version that plays on my radio station.
2. "Waiting on the World to Change" by John Mayer (on my sidebar)
3. "Put Your Record On" by Corinee Bailey Rae
4. "Call Me Sober" by Evanescence
5. "Ever The Same" by Robb Thomas
6. "The Riddle" by Five For Fighting
7. "Collide" by Howie Day

Hmmm, guess I could huh??? :) Now who I am going to tag.....

Amber
Michelle
Rachael

6 comments:

DragonFly Designs said...

Awesome Songs Darla..I love the songs from James and Rob too...=)

Thanks for playing!

Michelle said...

Oh, man - that means I have to update my blog too, huh? LOL!
You have worked hard to obtain the goals you set out for, Darla, and you should be very proud of yourself! I'm proud of you too! :)
And dang, on the house! That's such a sweet feeling to sit down to "play" with a clean house surrounding you! I gotta work on that one today too...

Anonymous said...

Doh - I just tagged you with the same thing - LOL! Looks like you're already on it :D

Anonymous said...

congrats, sweetie!!! i am so proud of you!! how awesome to have reached all your goals!! and we couldn't be happier for you! you KNOW how much we love SSD!! you rock, dar!! :D

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised you've reached your goals Darla - you are an awesome scrapper!! And just to force you to update your blog (like I can talk, lol) you've been tagged! http://marmys.typepad.com/it_seemed_extraneous_at_t/2006/10/tagged.html

Rachael said...

Thanks for the tag..... just answered this last week:
http://www.rachaelgiallongo.com/blog/2006/09/drat-ive-been-tagged-twice.html

Congrats on reaching your goals! Its no surprise because you are genuine and ooze talent, too!